Thursday, February 21, 2008

U of MN's Fair Use Analysis Tool

All this talk of copyright and fair use reminded me of this Fair Use Analysis Tool produced by the University of Minnesota. It has checklists weighing for and against fair use based on the four factors described by Rife and calculates an assessment based on your entries.
  • I determined that my educational, in-class use of a few pages from a composition text not purchased by my students probably constitutes fair use.
  • I ran analysis based on what I knew of the multimodal composition that Westbrook's student created, and the assessment favored fair use.
What's more, you can have the detailed report emailed to you, which would help to physically verify that you attempted to assess fair use, thus enacting the "good faith fair use defense" described by Rife if legal action were taken.

Bookmark it. Cool stuff!

No comments: